Our Instant Pot creme brulee is spiked with chai spice which is sure to give your taste buds a wake up call! This recipe is super fast and easy and produces the perfect silky, creamy dessert with a warm hug from the chai spice. Get ready to wow your friends and family with this one!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping tablespoon of chai masala (chai spice powder)
- 4 tablespoons of raw sugar (demarara sugar) for caramelizing/brulee *see below for substitutes
- 2 cups water
- 4 ramekins or broiler safe bowls
- Oven mitt
- oven/toaster oven or brulee torch
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and white sugar until sugar dissolves
- Add cream ,vanilla extract and chai masala to the mixture and whisk just to mix-do not over mix
- Pour the mixture evenly into the 6 ramekins making sure not to fill all the way to the top
- Cover each ramekin tightly with foil
- Add two cups of water into the InstantPot
- Place the stand which came with the InstantPot inside the pot
- Carefully place the ramekins on top of the stand inside of the InstantPot-you may have to stagger and stack them on top of each other OR you may have to do this process twice if you are unable to stack them-make sure they are sitting straight and not tipping over
- Close and lock the lid of the InstantPot
- Close the valve on the lid so that no steam is released during cooking
- Press MANUAL mode on the InstantPot
- Make sure the InstantPot is on HIGH PRESSURE
- Set the timer to 9 minutes
- After the timer goes off, allow the pressure to RELEASE NATURALLY (this may take 10-12 minutes)
- Once the pressure has naturally released and the silver prong has dropped down, open the lid
- Press OFF/CANCEL on the InstantPot
- Carefully remove the ramekins from the InstantPot using an oven mitt or something else-RAMEKINS WILL BE VERY HOT!
- After removing the ramekins, remove the foil to make sure that the custard is mostly solid with a little bit of jiggle
- Place the ramekins on a heat safe surface and allow the custard to come to room temperature (30-45 minutes)
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to the BROIL setting and make sure the oven rack is closest to the top broiler
- Sprinkle the demarara sugar in a single thin layer on each of the ramekins filled with the cooked custard
- **If you have a brulee torch, caramelize the sugar using the torch and go to step #23**
- Place the ramekins in the oven/toaster oven and allow the sugar to caramelize and turn brown -DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE OVEN!
- After the sugar has caramelized, VERY CAREFULLY remove each ramekin from the oven and place on a heat safe surface
- Allow the creme brulee to come to room temperature once again
- Cover each of the ramekins with plastic wrap or foil
- Place the covered, room temperature creme brulee in the refrigerator to cool completely (2-3 hours)
- Your chai spice creme brulee is now ready to enjoy!
You may take out the chai masala (chai spice) if you want a traditional flavored creme brulee.
You may add any other flavorings in the custard mix as well.
Substitutes for Demerara Sugar:
4 tablespoons of demerara sugar = 4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
4 tablespoons of demerara sugar = 4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
4 tablespoons of demerara sugar = 4 tablespoons light brown sugar