During Diwali, it is not uncommon to be greeted with tables full of sweets and savory snacks at each house you visit. For those people who aren’t so fond of Indian sweets or just need a break from the traditional offerings, we’ve got you covered with this eggless dessert. Wow your friends and family or just indulge yourself this festival season with this creamy, melt in your mouth creme caramel.
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water¾ cups whole milk
- ¾ can sweetened condensed milk (10.5 oz)
- ¾ cup yogurt (make your own! https://youtu.be/sy3c42C08a8)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 ramekins
- Turn on your stovetop to medium high heat
- To a pan, add the sugar and 2 tablespoons water
- Heat until caramel turns a deep amber, honey-like color (occasionally swirl your sugar mixture by swirling the pot but DO NOT STIR). This will take about 5-7 minutes
- As soon as the sugar turns amber, IMMEDIATELY take it off the heat
- Evenly pour the caramel mixture among the 4 ramekins and allow to cool-BE CAREFUL AS IT WILL BE VERY HOT
- Set the ramekins aside and allow the caramel to harden on the bottom
- In your mixing bowl, whisk together the whole milk, condensed milk, yogurt, vanilla extract and corn starch
- Whisk well so that there are no lumps
- Evenly pour this custard mix among the 4 ramekins on top of the hardened caramel
- Cover each ramekin tightly with foil
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the bottom of your InstantPot
- Place the metal trivet in the pot
- Carefully place each ramekin on top of the trivet-you may have to stagger the ramekins
- Place lid on pot and lock
- Close vent on lid to prevent steam from escaping
- Press MANUAL to set pot to Manual mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 10 minutes
- After the timer goes off, allow the pressure to naturally release for a minimum of 10 minutes
- If the pin has not dropped, you can now manually release the pressure and open the lid
- Carefully, using an oven mitt, remove the ramekins from the InstantPot and onto a try
- Place the ramekins in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour to set
- After 1 hour, remove the ramekins from the refrigerator
- Remove the foil from each ramekin
- Hold the ramekin in one hand and gently run a butter knife around the inner edges of the ramekin to loosen the custard
- To remove, place a serving dish on top of the ramekin and quickly flip the ramekin over (see video)
- Serve and enjoy!
Serve cold as a dessert or snack.
You may add cardamom powder (elaichi), rose water or other flavorings to the custard.
You may garnish with edible flowers, fruits, or nuts.