Lapsi is a traditional Indian sweet dish made out of cracked wheat and sugar. It is generally prepared on special occasions. One such occasion when lapsi is prepared is Dhanteras, a day during Diwali, on which Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity is worshipped. Due to the texture of lapsi, it is traditionally cooked low and slow and takes hours to achieve the correct consistency and flavor. This Diwali, you’ll have the perfect lapsi to serve your family and friends in a fraction of the time!
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup lapsi/fada/dalia (cracked wheat)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods (elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon ground elaichi (cardamom powder)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons whole peanuts
- 4 ½ cups hot water
- Optional garnish: extra almonds, raisins, cardamom powder
- Bring 4 ½ cups of water to a boil and set aside.
- Turn on InstantPot to SAUTE mode and wait until the display reads “HOT”
- Add ghee to the pot and allow to melt
- Add cinnamon stick and whole green cardamom pods to the ghee
- Add the lapsi (cracked wheat) to the pot
- While continuously stirring, allow the lapsi to roast until you can smell it is fragrant and it turns a golden brown color
- Add raisins, almonds, peanuts, cardamom powder to the mixture in the pot
- Add the brown sugar
- Add the hot water- BE CAREFUL as the water may splatter
- Stir well to incorporate the ingredients thoroughly
- Place lid on pot and lock
- Close vent on lid to prevent steam from escaping
- Press CANCEL to turn off Saute mode
- Press MANUAL to set pot to Manual mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 20 minutes
- After the timer goes off, allow the pressure to Naturally Release for a minimum of 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, manually release any existing pressure by opening vent on the lid (BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM)
- Open the lid
- Stir well
- Serve and garnish with extra sliced almonds if you would like
- The lapsi will thicken as it sits
- Serve and enjoy!
Serve piping hot with extra sliced almonds and cardamom powder as an extra special dessert.
You may omit the raisins, peanuts, almonds or cardamon based on personal preference.
You can use gaur/jaggery/palm sugar or any other sweetener instead of brown sugar.
VEGAN VARIATION: Substitute the ghee for coconut oil