Pani puri also known as gol gappa in certain areas, is an iconic street food found on almost every street corner in India. The mere mention of pani puri makes our mouth water and brings back memories of the busy streets in India. These puffed wheat snacks are filled with a spicy, tangy water which can be toned down with the addition of a sweet chutney. We’ve shared some of our hacks so that making pani puri at home is no longer a day long process. You’ll be serving up pani puri like a champion street vendor without all the hassle!
- Instant pot
- Trivet which came with the Instant Pot
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 small steel dish at least 1 inch deep
- ½ cup raw mung beans
- ¼ cup Imli chutney(tamarind chutney)
- pre-made pani concentrate - also found at Indian stores
- 3 medium washed, unpeeled potatoes cut in half
- pre-fried puri(fried wheat balls) - also found at Indian stores
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup Water
- Pour ¼ cup water into the steel pot in the Instant Pot
- Place trivet in the water
- Place the potatoes on top of the trivet
- Place the mung beans in the steel dish
- Place the steel dish on top of the potatoes
- Add ¼ cup water on top of the mung beans
- Close and lock the lid on the Instant Pot
- Turn the vent to sealing to prevent steam from escaping
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 10 minutes
- While the potatoes and mung beans are cooking, make the pani
- In a mixing bowl, empty the containers of pani concentrate
- Follow the directions on the package to make the pani
- We filled each empty container with water two times and poured into the concentrate
- Mix well to incorporate water and pani concentrate
- Place the bowl of pani in the refrigerator to keep cool until serving
- Arrange the puris on to a serving plate and poke a small hole (½ inch) on top of each puri
- Once the timer goes off on the Instant Pot, allow steam to naturally release for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 mins, manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot
- Open the lid
- Carefully remove the steel plate with the cooked mung beans and set aside
- Carefully remove the cooked potatoes onto a plate or cutting board
- Allow potatoes to slightly cool and peel and cut into bite sized cubes
- Assemble the pani puri: gently fill the puri with mung beans, potatoes, imli chutney
- Place a bowl of pani on the side and allow your guests to fill the puris with the pani as they eat
Serve the puris with the mung beans, potatoes, pani and imli chutney on the side and allow your guests to assemble them as they please.
Make your own Imli/tamarind chutney: https://youtu.be/71O3B1S5WeA
Great for brunch, lunch, dinner or even a snack!
Season the potatoes with salt and red chili powder if desired.
Use boiled black chickpeas instead of mung beans.