Ever feel left out at picnics and barbecues when everyone is eating pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches? It’s your lucky day because we have the perfect alternative for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike! These pulled jackfruit sandwiches have even the biggest meat eaters fooled into thinking they are eating meat! Try these out at your next party or even on Meatless Monday. Pulled jackfruit sandwiches are a super hit with our families and we’re sure they will be with yours too.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit
- Cut the middle core off of the jackfruit pieces
- To the Instant Pot, add ½ cup water
- Add the jackfruit pieces to the pot
- Close and lock the lid on the Instant Pot
- Turn the vent to sealing to prevent steam from escaping
- Press MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK on the Instant Pot (HIGH pressure)
- Set timer to 5 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, release the steam by opening the vent (QR)
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot
- Carefully open the lid
- Using the potato masher, break up the jackfruit pieces
- This will result in a shredded texture
- Turn on the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode
- Add bbq sauce to the jackfruit in the pot
- Add paprika and chilli powder
- Mix well to incorporate the ingredients
- Saute until excess liquid has evaporated (5-7 mins)
- Assemble the sandwiches:
- Place bottom hamburger bun on plate
- Add pulled jackfruit on top of bun
- Add coleslaw on top of pulled jackfruit
- Place bun on top coleslaw
- Serve and enjoy!
Can be served on mini sliders.
Can be served over a salad.
Use buffalo sauce instead of bbq sauce for pulled buffalo jackfruit sandwiches.
Use a vegan bbq sauce and coleslaw