Most people these days are familiar with the ever popular Indian snack food called the Samosa. These savory, spicy and crispy snacks are definitely a favorite for adults and kids alike. Unfortunately, the traditional samosa requires a lot of work between making the filling, stuffing them and frying them. Luckily, we’ve found a way for you to enjoy your favorite samosa filling in a quick and easy (and healthy) way!
- 3 large russet potatoes (starchy potatoes work best)-peeled, washed and cut
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 teaspoons garam masala (more for a spicy filling)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots-washed and thawed
- 1 large onion diced small
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Butter to grease your sandwich maker
- 12 slices of bread-makes 6 sandwiches
- Mint Chutney - use your favorite brand
- 2 cups water
- Instant Pot
- Trivet that came with the Instant Pot
- Potato masher
- Sandwich Maker/Grill
- Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot
- Add the water to the steel liner of the Instant Pot
- Place the potatoes on top of the trivet
- Close and lock the lid on the Instant Pot
- Turn the vent to sealed to prevent steam from escaping
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 7 minutes - if potatoes are not cut, use 9 mins
- Once the timer goes off on the Instant Pot, manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot
- Open the lid and using a utensil, carefully remove the potatoes into a large bowl
- Using a potato masher, mash up the potatoes until they are completely broken but not mushy
- Remove the trivet and water from your Instant Pot and completely dry the steel pot
- Turn on the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode
- Wait until the display reads “HOT”
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to the pot
- Add the diced onions, grated ginger
- Stir well and saute for 2 minutes
- Add in the carrots and peas and stir well
- Add the salt and garam masala
- Add in the mashed up potatoes
- Mix well to incorporate the ingredients
- Squeeze the juice of your lemon and add into the potato mixture
- Mix well
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Preheat the sandwich maker/grill
- Butter the plates of the sandwich maker/grill
- Place two slices of bread on the sandwich maker
- Add the potato filling on top of each slice of bread
- Spread mint chutney on the remaining slices of bread
- Place the bread-chutney face down-on the potato filling
- Close your sandwich maker/grill and allow the sandwich to crisp up-cook according to the directions on your sandwich maker/grill
- Carefully remove the toasted sandwiches using tongs or another utensil as they will be VERY HOT.
- Serve with extra mint chutney or even tamarind chutney
This dish can be served with your choice of chutneys and dipping sauce as a tea time snack.
This is also makes for a really quick lunch or dinner idea.
You may add cumin seeds to the oil before adding onions.
You may add green chilies, cilantro or any other spices.
NO ONION/NO GARLIC VARIATION: You can omit the onions.
VEGAN VARIATION: Use vegan spread/margarine on the sandwich maker and this recipe becomes vegan.