Seero or Sooji Halwa is one of the most common sweet dishes found at prayer ceremonies or special occasions in the Indian household. This particular dessert is a favorite among little kids as well as adults; topping many people’s list of go-to comfort foods. This Diwali, prepare this special treat for your family and friends in no time at all. You’ll want to keep this recipe handy for when you want to warm yourself from the inside out during the cold winter months as well.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and set aside.
- Turn on InstantPot to SAUTE mode and wait until the display reads “HOT”
- Add ghee to the pot and allow to melt
- Add almonds and raisins to the ghee and allow to roast for 1 minute
- Add the rava (semolina) to the pot and while continuously stirring, roast for 2 minutes until golden brown and it smells fragrant
- Add the saffron and cardamom powder
- Add the hot water- BE CAREFUL as the water may splatter
- Stir well to incorporate the ingredients thoroughly -there should be no lumps
- Place lid on pot and lock
- Close vent on lid to prevent steam from escaping
- Press CANCEL to turn off Saute mode
- Press MANUAL to set pot to Manual mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 4 minutes
- After the timer goes off, allow the pressure to Naturally Release for a minimum of 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, manually release any existing pressure by opening vent on the lid (BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM)
- Open the lid
- Serve and garnish with extra sliced almonds if you would like
Serve piping hot with extra sliced almonds and cardamom powder as an extra special dessert.
You may omit the raisins, almonds or cardamon based on personal preference.
VEGAN VARIATION: Substitute the ghee for coconut oil