This savory, creamy and spicy lentil recipe is not only one which warms the soul, but also provides a tremendous amount of protein and nutrition. This is a very common comfort food found in the Indian household. Here’s our super fast and easy version which will have you enjoying this dish in no time at all. Did we mention that it is vegan and gluten free?!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon rye (mustard seeds)
- 1 pinch or ⅛ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon haldi/urder (turmeric powder)
- ½ teaspoon lal mirch (cayenne pepper)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium roma tomatoes diced
- 3 small cloves garlic finely minced
- 2-3 small green chilies finely minced (adjust according to spice preference)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or according to taste)
- ½ large lemon for garnish
- ¾ cup prewashed mug ni daar (petite split yellow lentils / split and dehusked mung beans)
- 2 cups water
- 3-4 sprigs fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped for garnish
- Turn on Instant Pot to SAUTE mode
- Add oil and allow to heat through 1-2 mins (oil will appear thinner in consistency and go to the sides of the pot)
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds- allow to to pop for 1 minute
- Add onions and stir
- Add in asafoetida (hing) and turmeric powder
- Add in the garlic and green chillies
- Cover with a glass lid and allow to saute for 3 minutes until the onions become translucent and soft
- Add tomatoes and salt
- Cover with glass lid and allow to saute for 2 minutes until tomatoes are soft- stir regularly
- Add in the washed lentils
- Add water and stir well to incorporate all ingredients
- Place lid on pot and lock
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 8 minutes or to 10 minutes (for softer,mushier, broken up lentils)
- Turn vent on lid to CLOSE VENT- the silver prong will pop up which means the steam is building up. DO NOT OPEN THE LID.
- Once done, manually release the steam by opening the vent. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Carefully open the lid of the Instant Pot
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and squeeze extra lemon juice when serving (if desired)
Add more chilies if you want a spicier dish
Add extra lemon juice for added tartness
If you do not like tomatoes, it is ok to leave them out.
Add in a handful of chopped spinach when you add the lentil for an even healthier twist on the dish.
You may use ghee instead of oil in step 2 if you prefer
(refer to our ghee recipe: https://youtu.be/Va9HO1VRvCw )
NO ONION/NO GARLIC VARIATION: You can take out the onion and garlic from the recipe and use 2 teaspoons of ginger instead. You can also throw in a handful of chopped spinach when you add the lentils for a nice twist on the dish.
Serve with rice, roti, paratha or eat as a soup!