For your next BBQ or pool party, instead of the usual mayo laden potato salad, why not give this spicy potato dish a try? These Tikka Taters are sure to be the surprise menu item at your party this year. We took boring old potatoes and gave them a spicy kick. These are so delicious, you’ll find yourself wanting to make these year round.
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- 2 cans whole or diced potatoes
- 4 tablespoons tikka masala
- 2 tablespoons dhana powder (coriander powder)
- ½ tablespoon red chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons oil + extra to coat baking tray
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream to top off (optional)
- Drain and wash potatoes
- Cut potatoes into one inch cubes
- In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, tikka masala, coriander powder, chili powder,cumin, garlic, ginger, oil and green onions
- Mix well to incorporate all ingredients
- Add potatoes and mix to coat well
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 1- 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking tray with foil and grease with oil
- Place potatoes on the tray and form a single layer
- Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes
- Turn the potatoes over and cook for another 10 minutes
- Turn the oven to BROIL
- Cook the potatoes for 2 minutes
- Carefully remove the baking tray using oven mitts
- Allow the potatoes to cool slightly and serve with a lime wedge and sour cream (optional)
Serve with sour cream or yogurt to cool down the spice level.
Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
You can vary the seasonings and spices per your taste preference.
Vegan variation: use coconut yogurt or omit yogurt completely.
No onion/no garlic: omit the garlic and green onions. Use cilantro instead of the green onions.