Khichdi is a dish which brings back warm fuzzy memories for most Indians. This dish is the ultimate comfort food for when it’s chilly outside, when you’re under the weather or just when you’re craving mom’s love. Luckily, despite being a comfort food, this dish has great nutritional value thanks to the use of lentils and vegetables! New moms and dads will appreciate this dish because of how easy it is to make and customize for your little ones! Give this one a try and we promise you’ll be hooked! Don’t forget to top it off with extra ghee for an extra special treat!
- 1 cup rice washed
- 1 cup yellow mung daal (split yellow mung beans) washed
- 1 teaspoon whole jeeru (cumin seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon urad/haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables washed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee (more to top off)
- Turn on InstantPot to SAUTE mode
- Add oil and jeera (cumin)- allow to pop
- Add mung daal, rice, water, salt, urad/haldi, mixed vegetables and ghee
- Mix well
- Press CANCEL button on InstantPot to turn off
- Close lid on Instant Pot
- Turn vent to “sealing” to close vent
- Press MANUAL on Instant Pot (high pressure)
- Set time to 8 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, wait at least 2-3 minutes before manually releasing the pressure
- Open the vent on the lid and allow all of the steam to release (silver prong will drop)
- Open lid and serve with extra ghee, yogurt or chaas (recipe below)
Add any variety of vegetables that you may want in this dish
NO ONION/NO GARLIC VARIATION: This recipe does not contain onions or garlic.
VEGAN VARIATION: This recipe is completely vegan if you omit the ghee.