In most parts of the country, winter is fast approaching and we’re ready to snuggle up to a piping hot bowl of comforting soup. This broccoli cheddar soup is so delicious, you won’t even realize how many servings of vegetables you are getting with each bowlful! You will definitely have your little ones fooled into thinking they are eating an ooey gooey cheesy soup without any vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 medium heads broccoli washed and chopped
- ¼ large head cauliflower washed and chopped
- 2 large potatoes peeled, washed and chopped into medium chunks
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer mild)
- Scallions/Green onions
- Hot Sauce/Tabasco
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hand Blender
- Turn on the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode
- Add the butter and allow to melt
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes
- Add in the broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, bay leaves, vegetable broth
- Stir to incorporate all the ingredients
- Place lid on pot and lock
- Close vent on lid to prevent steam from escaping
- Press CANCEL/WARM
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 7 minutes
- Once the timer goes off on the Instant Pot, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot
- Open the lid
- Add in the cheese and half and half
- Using a hand blender, carefully blend to the consistency you want- Be Careful as the soup is VERY HOT and could splatter while blending
- The soup will thicken as it sits
- You are now ready to garnish and serve your soup!
This dish can be garnished with green onions, hot sauce, cheese or anything you like!
You can omit the cauliflower or potato if you want. You can also add in other veggies of your choice.
NO ONION/NO GARLIC VARIATION: You can easily leave out the onion and garlic.