Most people who have been to Mumbai reminisce about the mouthwatering street food found on every corner of the city. This is a spicy and savory mix of vegetables served with toasted buttery bread. Here’s a quick and easy version of this street food favorite called Pav Bhaji.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon powder or 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons lal mirch (cayenne pepper, based on personal preference for heat)
- 4 tablespoons Badshah Mumbai Bhaji Pav Masala or your preferred brand
- 2 tablespoons salt (adjust according to taste)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes or 8 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 4 medium potatoes roughly diced
- ½ head medium cauliflower roughly chopped
- ¼ bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 medium lemon
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup water
- Garnish Ingredients:
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ½ small onion diced small
- 1 roma tomato diced small
- 1 large lemon
- Turn on InstaPot to SAUTE mode
- Add butter and allow to melt
- Add cumin seeds and cinnamon powder or cinnamon stick- allow to to sizzle for 1 minute
- Add onions, stir to mix and cover Instapot with a glass lid
- Allow onions to saute for 2-4 minutes until translucent -stir regularly
- Add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala, salt, lal mirch (cayenne) and ½ cup water
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly, close Instapot with a glass lid and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until tomatoes are soft
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon into the mixture
- Add roughly chopped potatoes, cilantro, cauliflower
- Mix well to incorporate the ingredients
- Close the lid on the Instapot to lock it
- Press CANCEL button on InstaPot to turn off
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 9-11 minutes (11 minutes if vegetables are chopped larger)
- Turn vent on the lid to CLOSE VENT to prevent steam from escaping
- Once done, manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Open the lid and allow the pav bhaji to cool for 2 minutes to prevent burns
- If you used a cinnamon stick instead of powder, remove the cinnamon stick at this point
- Using a hand blender, being sure not to touch the bottom of the Instapot with the blender to prevent scratching, blend the mix to your preferred consistency. (Smooth or slightly chunky)
- Add in the frozen peas and stirl
- Press CANCEL on the Instapot
- Press SAUTE on the Instapot
- Cover the Instapot with a glass lid
- Allow peas to cook for 2 minutes
- Press CANCEL on the Instapot
- Garnish and enjoy!
Mix together the onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
Plate pav bhaji, top with garnish, squeeze lemon juice on top if preferred.
Serve with toasted buttery bread.
Use any brand of Pav Bhaji masala you prefer
Add more chilies if you want a spicier dish
Add more pav bhaji masala for a more intense flavor
NO ONION/NO GARLIC VARIATION: You can take out the onion and garlic from the recipe and continue with the other steps.
VEGAN VARIATION: Use oil instead of butter in step 2. Use plant based butter or oil to toast the bread with.