Most of us cringe when we think of the intensive process required to make a rich and creamy risotto. Thanks to the Instant Pot, no more waiting hours over the stove or spending tons of money to eat your favorite risotto. The best part is that you can modify the ingredients to bring in your family’s favorite flavors and vegetables!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 handful basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Turn on InstantPot to SAUTE mode
- Add oil and butter to pot
- Add onions and stir well
- Add arborio rice and allow to toast for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant
- Add vegetable stock
- Add pesto and salt and stir well
- Close the InstantPot lid
- Turn vent on the lid to CLOSE VENT to prevent steam from escaping
- Set pot to MANUAL mode
- Set to HIGH PRESSURE
- Set timer to 5 minutes for al dente or 7 mins for a softer risotto (recommended for kids)
- After timer goes off, Press CANCEL/OFF button on InstantPot to turn off
- Now manually release the steam by opening the vent. The silver prong will drop back into the lid. BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Open the lid
- Add the tomatoes, basil and parmesan and gently fold these ingredients into the risotto
- At this point, the risotto is ready to serve
- Garnish with your favorite toppings such as extra parmesan or pesto
- Serve and enjoy!
Add grilled shrimp or chicken for a complete meal.
You can add any variety of vegetables you like: peas, mushrooms, asparagus, etc.
You can substitute the stock with broth or water but stock provides a deeper flavor.
You can add black pepper or crushed red pepper for a kick
VEGETARIAN VARIATION: This dish is vegetarian.